Thank you for your interest in a rescued Bully!
We take the adoption process very seriously and hope you will too. We want you to think this decision through and be fully aware of the challenges that come with pet ownership. We want you to treat the animal as a full participating member of your household. Think about the following questions: Why do you want a pet? Do you have time? Can you afford the new addition? Are you prepared to deal with the special problems a pet can cause (or that two pets can cause if you already have one)? Is it a good time to adopt? Who will care for the pet when you are on vacation? Can you have a pet where you live? This needs to be an ongoing commitment- when you move you will always have to make this your top priority. If you are in the military, who will care for your pet if you are deployed? Are all the bases you might be shipped to currently allowing bully breeds on premises? Will your spouse be able to care for the dog and any child (children) for the duration of your deployment?
Bad weather, classes, work, social, family, chores- these are not good excuses for not caring for the dog. Adopting a pet should be looked upon as a lifelong commitment of love and responsibility for the welfare of that animal, just as you would have for a human member of your family. Please only adopt (either through rescue, breeder or shelter) if you have seriously considered and weighed the above comments.
Our adoption process has several steps, and may take anywhere from two to eight weeks. Please understand that we are all unpaid volunteers with commitments outside of rescue, and we try to process the applications in a timely manner. All applications are processed in the order in which they were received, unless the dog being applied for is in an urgent situation. Due to time constraints of volunteers, we will not proceed to the next step in the adoption process if we are unable to contact the applicant within a reasonable time period. Once you apply, please plan to check your email regularly for new updates or questions form a rescue volunteer. If you are unable to consistently check email, please explain this to your assigned volunteer, so that we can make arrangements to keep the process flowing smoothly.
Steps to adopt:
- Honestly evaluate your desire and ability to care for a new dog at this time in your life
- Research the breed to make sure you are ready for the trials and tribulations and joys of bully ownership. Visit this GREAT link: http://www.ehow.com/how_2196263_ decide-pit- bull-right- dog.html
- Search for the bully you are interested in (We urge you to choose more than one dog that interests you, however please understand that your choices may not be the ideal match for your family or lifestyle. Our volunteers will help you determine the right dog for you in order to ensure a compatible and lifelong pet relationship.)Complete our adoption application
- Correspond through e-mail and phone with rescue volunteers, to complete the screening process
- Pass veterinary/personal reference check
- Pass home check by rescue volunteer or associate
- If your application is approved, meet and greet with bullies of interest
- Finalize adoption paperwork, complete final arrangements for transfer of dog
Again, we are very grateful for your interest in one of our adoptable bullies and look forward to getting to know you better. To begin, please click below to fill out an application.
*** Bama Bully Rescue respects the privacy of our applicants, and will not disclose personal contact information. However, please understand that we reserve the right to share the impression or outcome of your application with interested parties. ***